The New "Gift of Gold" Program

KimKim Posts: 636 Bronze ✭✭✭
Have you guys seen the new gift of gold program that Bitgold has set up for us to send gold to family and friends? This just gets better and better!
Tagged:

Comments

• gbsmangbsman Posts: 25 Tin ✭
    i have read it twice yet to use it but plan to do so, awesome idea
  • sondesonde Posts: 1 Tin ✭
    really nice program give and get a percentage but make sure they sign up
  • KimKim Posts: 636 Bronze ✭✭✭
    I just sent my first gift. Exciting!
    He received the gift and sent a note of appreciation. Said he loved it.
  • 1halfcockedRooster1halfcockedRooster Posts: 97 Tin ✭
    I have just got on-board this part of the site . Although I have been apprehensively putting in small amounts instead of buying silver bars and maples . Everything seems very professional and cleanly operated .
    @1halfcockedRooster, firstly I love the name! Welcome. It is indeed a process to understand, do little something, see results, try some more, etc., then suddenly you find yourself being a true believer in what Bitgold is offering. Then you start to share with others. That has been my journey so far anyway, and I have been here just over a few short weeks.
  • GLDGLD Posts: 49 Copper ✭✭
    Kim said:@1halfcockedRooster,........ do little something, see results, try some more, etc., then suddenly you find yourself being a true believer in what Bitgold is offering. Then you start to share with others........s.

My plan as well. Have you tried to redeem for any cubes and have them mailed to you?

I just tried the process to see how it works and what the shipping would be. It failed, telling me "The amount of BitGold Cubes selected exceeds your vault balance" .... which is incorrect, since i tried at only small amount, well under my balance. So as of right now i know their is a $25 redemption fee (regardless of the amount, i assume) plus whatever shipping might be.

Any experience with this?

Physical gold redemption fees are only 1% redemption fee + $25 CAD + any additional shipping, handling, and insurance.

The above is off the Bitgold support page ..... "+ any additional shipping, handling, and insurance" seems pretty open ended .... which is why i ask. It seems to be that walking into your local established bullion dealer makes more sense it you want to take possession.
    Actually looking online right now (mon, [email protected]) .... i can buy 70g (perth mint 10g gold bars) for $3672cdn. Meanwhile if i trade in 70g from my bitgold account it is valued at $3413cdn ....... so assuming $34 (the 1%) +$25(redemption fee) + $25(shipping est) the total cost = $3497.

That's about $170cdn cheaper then the dealers markup.... nice.

The only drawback is that any transactions through Bitgold are highly visible if you happen to be at all paranoid about banks, taxes and governments, etc.
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 128 Copper ✭✭
    I did find that I can buy two 5 gram bars online with free shipping for the same price as a 10 gram bit gold cube with the 25.00 redemption fee and shipping. You are right @GLD you can buy from your local dealer with no questions asked but a much higher mark up. The 5 gram bars are PAMP if I remember correctly. So they would fetch a better premium if you were to resell them.
  • balestra2016_balestra2016_ Posts: 12 Tin ✭
    Kim said:

Have you guys seen the new gift of gold program that Bitgold has set up for us to send gold to family and friends? This just gets better and better!

hello
  • balestra2016_balestra2016_ Posts: 12 Tin ✭

I did find that I can buy two 5 gram bars online with free shipping for the same price as a 10 gram bit gold cube with the 25.00 redemption fee and shipping. You are right @GLD you can buy from your local dealer with no questions asked but a much higher mark up. The 5 gram bars are PAMP if I remember correctly. So they would fetch a better premium if you were to resell them.

hello more information please of buy of gold 5 gram to me [email protected]

........ you can buy from your local dealer with no questions asked but a much higher mark up. .........

The purchase page worked properly this morning so i decided try out the Bitgold "redeem and ship it" option ..... i was planning on purchasing some gold in the new year locally anyway but seeing as Bitgold seems like a better deal (closer to spot), financially it makes sense. I will let everyone know how it works out.
    @gld, what a beautiful thing behold! They look great.
  • rohanibuang61rohanibuang61 Posts: 2,379 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GLD, awesome and nice looking.
    golderoo said:

did you order 2x 2x10g or was that just how they decided to ship it?

I just ordered the 40g and assumed it would come in one x4 pack ..... not sure why they sent two x2's, but im OK with that.

I also wondered if the serial no would be etched on the cube but it looks like it is only on the package .... i expect they're too small to do that.

@gld, it's good to hear your opinion on the actual look and feel of the gold your received vs. what the expectation was. Thanks again for sharing.
  • 79Au19779Au197 Posts: 4,047 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gld … re: GoldCubes
    edited January 2016
    It is still not clear to me how the "Gift of Gold" can be sent to current members. It appears to me that the recipient must open a BitGold account in order to receive the gold. It is not clear to me how the recipient claims the gold if he or she already has an account.

I tried this by sending it to myself. Once I logged in, I could find no option to claim my gold.

How can the "Gift of Gold" be sent to current members? (In the US)

79Au197 said:

It is still not clear to me how the "Gift of Gold" can be sent to current members. It appears to me that the recipient must open a BitGold account in order to receive the gold. It is not clear to me how the recipient claims the gold if he or she already has an account.
    I tried this by sending it to myself. Once I logged in, I could find no option to claim my gold.
    How can the "Gift of Gold" be sent to current members? (In the US)

I think u need to convince a family member to also join and then the transfer will go through. If they don't have an account then, i think they are prompted to join ...... its a fab idea if you're kids or friend is out of town or country. No cross border hassle or conversion fees sounds like a bonus. I'm pretty sure there's no fee to transfer but i would re-check that first.

• MelanieMelanie Posts: 1,045 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GLD and @79Au197, the Gift of Gold can be sent to existing users! If you're encountering difficulty let me know or send an email to [email protected]! Payments and the Gift of Gold are free to send!
    @Melanie

What abou in the US?
  • dmitrytokarevdmitrytokarev Posts: 12 Tin ✭
    @Melanie Yes, I am very curious as to whether U.S residents can gift gold to users outside the U.S? Or at all for that matter?
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 128 Copper ✭✭
    GLD said:

golderoo said:

did you order 2x 2x10g or was that just how they decided to ship it?

I just ordered the 40g and assumed it would come in one x4 pack ..... not sure why they sent two x2's, but im OK with that.

I also wondered if the serial no would be etched on the cube but it looks like it is only on the package .... i expect they're too small to do that.

The serial number and purity should appear on the gold it self. With the cubes the serial number is on the bubble pack.

• MelanieMelanie Posts: 1,045 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gift of Gold is available to US users!

The serial number and purity should appear on the gold it self. With the cubes the serial number is on the bubble pack.

So .... are you saying it IS on the cube, or it SHOULD BE on the cube? Because short of opening the package i cant see all surfaces to confirm that .... and i don't especially want to open them.