Where the GoldMoney Prepaid Master Card does and does not work

RocketDogRocketDog Posts: 652 Silver ✭✭✭✭
I am wondering how much luck other people are having using their GoldMoney Prepaid Master Card?
I have received and activated mine and loaded it with $80 for a trial run and was embarrassed at Aldi when it was rejected for a $15 purchase (didn't even get to enter my PIN--rejected before that). Then I tried it at Kroger in the self-serve line for $11. It was rejected there too, but nobody saw it but me and the computer--less embarrassing, equally frustrating. Tomorrow I will try to withdraw money from an ATM. This is from the state of Ohio in USA.
What luck are you having, or not having, with your prepaid card, and where are you located?

Comments

• nigelmarkdiasnigelmarkdias Posts: 1,323 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    Do other Mastercard debit cards work for you in Ohio? @RocketDog
    I may be wrong. This seems to be a credit card processor issue i.e. the Mastercard system @Melanie?
    As the card is @Goldmoney branded, it also reflects on Goldmoney.
  • 79Au19779Au197 Posts: 4,047 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RocketDog

Mostly successful when used without the PIN (that is as a 'credit' card). Mostly successful "swiping". Occasional problems with chip readers.

Mostly successful at ATMs depending on the amount requested.

Location Texas.
  • helferleinhelferlein Posts: 155 Bronze ✭✭✭
    In january 2016 when I've got my card in the first I had troubles due I tried to change the PIN (which is not allowed how I know now) my card got blocked. After some help from support my card now works just fine. I used it on many different locations in Switzerland and Germany until now without any problems (Restaurants, malls, selfservice shops, atm's, fun parks,... ).

@RocketDog check that matter with Goldmoney support.
  • TimKTimK Posts: 90 Bronze ✭✭✭
    I have had zero issues as long as I use it as credit. No pin. It never works when trying to use the pin.
  • RocketDogRocketDog Posts: 652 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Nigelmarkdias,
    Yes, I have other debit and credit cards that work at these places. I have one other Mastercard Debit Card with chip that I use at Kroger with no problems. Some stores are funny about whether to swipe or use the chip and some stores can tell you to use credit not debit depending on their systems. I will check with support on this card. And I am hopeful I will be able to use it. But it is also interesting to see other people's responses, to see what their user experience is. I appreciate everyone's input. Based on the responses so far, I should try to use it as a credit card, not debit.
    @RocketDog

Yes used as "credit" has most success for me.

And yet at Chase ATM with chip reader and PIN was able to withdraw cash when I guessed the magic $limit and withdrawal option. >:)
  • MelanieMelanie Posts: 1,045 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RocketDog Your card has not been activated yet! I have just sent you activation instructions, you also would have received a similar message upon being approved for the card. This is why it was immediately rejected at the store.
    @RocketDog @Melanie

Oh and activation is required B) >:)
    "Your card has not been activated yet! I have just sent you activation instructions, you also would have received a similar message upon being approved for the card. This is why it was immediately rejected at the store."

Before I even loaded my card, I went through the activation process and my card was activated as far as I can tell. If the activation process failed somehow, then that is a different story. But how would I know that as a customer? The card portal indicated that it was activated. So I think you are just "guessing" in your statement above. Though I appreciate your thoughtful suggestion.
    @RocketDog The Legend @Melanie never guesses. o:)

Try it again and let us know.
    Will do @Melanie, thank you!
    @79Au197 is right @RocketDog - not a guess! When checking on your card status, it is listed as not being activated. Let me know if you are seeing anything irregular on your end, and I'll have our card team take a look!
    @RocketDog

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

In support of this thread I just tried my card at gas station pump REJECTED. Tried various options of credit + zip-code and debit with pin. "See inside".

Then at local food establishment … REJECTED :'(

Maybe multiple failures at gas station put a block on my card?

@Melanie - I have submitted ticket via email form at support.goldmoney.com
  • Musical196Musical196 Posts: 37 Tin ✭
    The first time I got my prepaid card, it was fine. I went to the Walmart near me, and purchased a snack.
    @Musical196

I have used my card often without problems. This is a new development.
    @79Au197

Unfortunately, I'm not staff of (Goldmoney). Hope you get this worked out!

I going to use my prepaid card on eBay. I only had 80 cents left, and the item was around $0.12 cents.

It said my card got declined. I contacted support, waiting for a response.
    @Musical196 I suspect that there is a minimum "just in case" value that the card must have in order to make a purchase. 80¢ may be below this limit.

In my case I have $490 available on card.
    I have gone through the Activation process AGAIN since it apparently was unsuccessful the first time I tried to activate it. This time I noted that I failed to choose a "Title" and though a little red arrow appeared next to that field, I did not see it until I scrolled back up the form. I have to say that the Titles offered are a bit sexist and dated since they do not offer "Ms." -- but that is another issue. Once activated, the screen confirms your PIN number and then takes you to a debit card account control page. The Activation page feedback could be improved a little, perhaps with clear messages like "Still Inactive" or "Activation Successful". Because I was there once before and did all that, but didn't realize that the attempt was unsuccessful. So next time I am out, I will go try to use the card again and report back.
    @79Au197
    Thank you for your attempts at card usage and for reporting your findings.
    In order for this "Gold as Currency" or "Gold as Store of Usable Value" concept to work we have to know that we can actually get our money back out of these accounts and use it in a relatively convenient manner. I am pretty excited about GoldMoney and the possibility of getting out of the fiat currency. So I am a huge fan, but am trying to be objective about this experience and am actually advising a large group of friends and coworkers based on what I learn from opening and using my own account. So those of us who post our experiences here can help everyone else who reads this post develop a User-based perspective on how usable this system really is.
    I understand GoldMoney's perspective that "A MasterCard is a MasterCard" and why would it work differently? But for those of us who are testing the waters, nothing speaks the truth like actual user experience.
    edited August 2016
    @RocketDog @Melanie @Musical196

Today's Prepaid Card update

•     successfully deposited from card to Goldmoney account $10
    •     successfully withdrew $100 from Chase ATM with chip reader using PIN
    •     successfully purchased goods at fine foods store using swipe, choosing "Credit" option
    •     all this week I have been transferring gold to fiat in my bank via ACH
    •     earlier this week I paid my adult son gold, my account to his (no fee)

So despite whatever issues I encountered yesterday, card works fine (when and where it works). :p

So in the Republic of Texas, USA all options function correctly as long as one accepts the fact that not all merchants can or will accept the Prepaid Card.
    That's great news 79Au197!
    I also had success with the card today after the second Activation attempt which was successful.
    1. Purchased groceries at Kroger using chip reader and PIN number
    2. Purchased crap at Walmart (I know, I'm sorry, I usually avoid that store but they had self checkout) using chip reader and PIN number
    3. Went to 5th Third ATM and checked my card balance (way cool) then withdrew a small sum for a high fee (5th Thirds ATM fee--not Goldmoney)
    4. Then I went to a BP gas station to see if the card would work. In both Debit and Credit situations I was told to see cashier but I think that might be because the card only had $36 left on it and many gas stations require a $75 reserve to avoid drive offs. So I will check that again when I have more money on the card.
    Overall -- off to a good start on the spending experiment.
    Update: the support team replied to my question. Apparently my card was suspend, when I asked for another one.

Since my previous one was damaged, accidentally.

I had no idea it was suspend. Is it possible to transfer funds from one prepaid card to another? @Melanie
    We'll get you taken care of @Musical196 :smile:
  • MoorishGoddessMoorishGoddess Posts: 9 Tin ✭
    RocketDog said:

I am wondering how much luck other people are having using their GoldMoney Prepaid Master Card?
    I have received and activated mine and loaded it with $80 for a trial run and was embarrassed at Aldi when it was rejected for a $15 purchase (didn't even get to enter my PIN--rejected before that). Then I tried it at Kroger in the self-serve line for $11. It was rejected there too, but nobody saw it but me and the computer--less embarrassing, equally frustrating. Tomorrow I will try to withdraw money from an ATM. This is from the state of Ohio in USA.
    What luck are you having, or not having, with your prepaid card, and where are you located?

I am in florida and in two days I would be with Bitgold 11 months and have the card for ten months no problem with card and just used over the weekend.
    Moorish Goddess -- Thanks for the report from Florida! I hope to be spending some time and money there. Good to know Gold is appreciated in the sunshine state!
    I have made several online purchases with the GoldMoney card and this is where it seems to work best. Probably because the online environment is already accustomed to accepting a variety of payment forms.
    I am guessing that if a currency crisis occurs, even local businesses will update their systems to accept gold-backed cards, cause we might be the only customers with spending money. :D
    I have to retract my statement of August 22. The online purchases made with my Goldmoney card were later declined and canceled by a company called Teespring. I tried a second time and it was declined again and there is plenty of money on the card.
    Today I tried again at a gas station with $126 on my card which is way higher than the $75 usually required. No luck. Other debit and credit cards work fine there. So I think gas stations (in USA) are going to be one place where you can't depend on your gold (yet).