Prepaid cards - novel uses of??

paddy10tellyspaddy10tellys Posts: 249 Bronze ✭✭✭
Other than sending money abroad to friends/family, are there any examples of folks using the US dollar Prepaid Mastercard cards (or the Euro cards) to pay for goods or services in dollars (or Euros) while not actually present in the USA, (or the Euro zone)?

If this seems like a daft question I can elaborate... :)

Comments

• 79Au19779Au197 Posts: 4,047 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please … elaborate >:)
  • Skookum_JimSkookum_Jim Posts: 124 Bronze ✭✭✭
    I live in Sweden and have only tried the card once since i got it, just to check that it is actually working - and yes it did!

I payed som 122 SEK worth of groceries and the transaction turned out to cost me €13 - just above 128 SEK when i checked the transaction, i think that is fair fees all things concidered.

Would i use the card daily despite not living in €-country? No but for backup and for euro travel it's a nice solution.
  • PinkdogPinkdog Posts: 511 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    I live in Canada and us my $US Goldmoney card when I travel to New York State to shop. I used it several times with no problems.
  • paddy10tellyspaddy10tellys Posts: 249 Bronze ✭✭✭
    @79Au197 @Skookum_Jim @Pinkdog thx for comments. Businesses apply sneaky & parasitic currency exchange markups when customers purchase goods and services abroad... so, here I am in the UK - if I've got a dollar/euro goldmoney card & I'm paying someone in USA/Euroland then why are these/other businesses/middlemen creaming off unecessary fx fees? I thought the goldmoney cards might avoid this sort of rip-off but so far, all it seems good for is taking it with you when you travel. I just wondered what others might have been doing?
    Sorry if that last comment seems a tad grumpy...
    So, who is doing exciting things with their cards?
  • SimmiemanSimmieman Posts: 6 Tin ✭
    My wife has used our USD card recently when she drove down to Las Vegas to go rock climbing from Canada. Worked perfectly for her. She ran out of money on the card and I just logged on to add to the balance of the card for her drive back. This to me is so much simpler and affordable when traveling.
  • CANADOGCANADOG Posts: 8 Tin ✭
    I use my prepaid card(s) primarily for travel. Can I repurchase gold from the remaining balance in my prepaid card after a trip? If not, why not? Seems like the card should work both ways to me. RS
  • MelanieMelanie Posts: 1,045 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! You can use your remaining balance to purchase gold if you wish :smile:
    I did that with my dollar card after the dollar shot up & gold had dropped