Off topic post but had to post this inspirational read about Chuck Feeney

GoldIsCurrencyGoldIsCurrency Posts: 1,781 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Cafe
Caught this article on Roy Sebag's twitter feed. This story gave me goosebumps. Check Feeney is a true saint.

"James Bond of Philanthropy" Gives Away the Last of His Fortune

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/nyregion/james-bond-of-philanthropy-gives-away-the-last-of-his-fortune.html?smid=tw-share

Comments

• GrandpaBrianGrandpaBrian Posts: 679 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    An interesting contrast being made there with He-Who-Tweets.

The ego is a powerful force within all of us. Feeney has clearly mastered his. Good on him!
  • RocketDogRocketDog Posts: 696 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent post @GoldisCurrency. It is not really off topic. People who are able to save their wealth are more generous by nature. When we are heavily taxed through taxes and indirectly through inflation, we tend to be less philanthropic. In my mind, this article reminds me that even those of us who are far from billionaires or even millionaires, might feel more secure in our own giving once we are able to store our wealth in gold. Once that sound of money going down the drain has ceased, and our anxiety is quelled, we might also look to donate a percentage of our wealth. I know that many of us still donate what we can...but think of the possibilities once our wealth stops leaking away. I think it is interesting that he picked $2 million to be a safe amount to retain.
  • GoldIsCurrencyGoldIsCurrency Posts: 1,781 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RocketDog I find it unbelievable that he only kept 2 million out of 8 billion. This man is a real super hero. I see he is also another great one that signed "The Giving Pledge". I think all of the people that signed that pledge are seriously special people, true saints.

In February 2011, Feeney became a signatory to The Giving Pledge.[11] In his letter to Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, the founders of The Giving Pledge, Feeney writes, "I cannot think of a more personally rewarding and appropriate use of wealth than to give while one is living—to personally devote oneself to meaningful efforts to improve the human condition. More importantly, today's needs are so great and varied that intelligent philanthropic support and positive interventions can have greater value and impact today than if they are delayed when the needs are greater."

He gave away his last $7 million in late 2016, to the same recipient of his first charitable donations: Cornell. Over the course of his life, he gave away more than $8 billion.