MasterCard Issues

Loaded up my MasterCard and headed off 12 days ago on vacation. The card worked great for the first week then was declined even though there was a positive balance on it. I sent an email to support 4 days ago regarding this problem but other than receiving an auto reply, I've had no response and of course the card still does not work. Any suggestions regarding how to escalate this as talking to a real person doesn't seem like it's an option.

Comments

• 79Au19779Au197 Posts: 4,047 Gold ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tekram_1 "four days ago" would be the weekend. 1-3 business days. Hopefully you get a response today. @Melanie ?

The real question is: is the card locked/blocked or have you been trying use it in venues where it is not accepted? I find that most merchants / kiosks take the card, but it is not universal.

Also note that some merchants put a hold on cards for more than the actual charge "just in case". These holds "roll off" in a few days, but while in effect those funds are unavailable to you.
  • GoldStandardCanadianGoldStandardCanadian Posts: 148 Bronze ✭✭✭
    It is usually necessary to contact your credit card company (in this case Mastercard, not Goldmoney) and let them know where you'll be taking vacation and for how long, particularly If it's outside your country. Not contacting them before a vacation often will result in your card blocking charges for security reasons. Credit card companies are diligent about preventing unusual or fraudulent charges, so this is done for your protection. Also keep in consideration there may be limits to how much you can deduct per day or week.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 22 Staff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Tekram_1!

Yes, @79Au197 is correct. We do our best to respond to all inquiries within 1-3 business days! Please check your inbox as we have responded to your email regarding your prepaid card issue. We appreciate your patience!
    @GoldStandardCanadian - I "Disagree" with your advice concerning specifically the Goldmoney Prepaid MasterCard. Note that your advice is spot on for regular credit cards.

Normally one would contact the issuer of the credit card: Chase, Citibank, Bank of America, etc. at the number on the back of the card. This is not MasterCard, but rather the bank issuing the credit card.

In the case of the Goldmoney Prepaid MasterCard the issuer is in fact Goldmoney Inc. but the card transactions are managed by Intercash. I am not sure that the phone number on the back of the card (if there is one) is of much use. If I were planning to use the card on vacation, I would email Goldmoney ahead of time and notify them of such. @Gareth @Melanie do you agree?

• Tekram_1Tekram_1 Posts: 4 Tin ✭
    Thanks all for the responses and here’s some further clarifications.

1. The card is in USD and I’m vacationing in the US so there should be no out of country issues.
    2. The card was readily accepted at ~ 15 merchants during the first week of usage then was declined/not-authorized by 3 others in the same area so I stopped trying to use it.
    3. All legitimate charges had rolled through and my receipts match Goldmoney’s Mastercard transactions however the total spent and funds remaining are incorrect as there should be a positive balance on the card.
    4. The only phone number on the card is in the UK so not much use to anyone in North America.
    5. I finally did hear back from Goldmoney support on Jan 26 essentially indicating that the card provider is looking into it however to date no further feedback and no resolution.

Quite frustrating actually.
    edited January 2017
    @Tekram_1 re: frustrating. I am sure it is. It would be for me.

A lesson in "don't put all of you eggs in one basket". Cash and more than one card are good to have on vacation.

Your item 3 is troublesome, obviously. I still think that there may be a hold on funds that has yet to expire. Were any of the merchants hotels or rental cars?

Please keep us updated as you learn more. @Gareth would you also please keep us updated?
    Agree and fortunately I do have other credit cards so minimal impact on the vacation.

Just checked my Goldmoney account and lo and behold my Mastercard has completely disappeared so would like to know how I get the remaining ~$200 credit balance back.

Over to you Gareth?
    @Tekram_1
    Tekram_1 said:

Just checked my Goldmoney account and lo and behold my Mastercard has completely disappeared so would like to know how I get the remaining ~$200 credit balance back.

Over to you Gareth?

That is so … "Twilight Zone"

And of course it is now the weekend, so unless support scans this forum over the weekend - no answer until Monday.

@Gareth @Melanie ?

Too bad the powers to be (Josh et al) don't spend some of their time auditing support/satisfaction of existing customers instead of travelling the world marketing the latest and greatest new offering.
    @Tekram_1 said
    Tekram_1 said:

Too bad the powers to be (Josh et al) don't spend some of their time auditing support/satisfaction of existing customers instead of travelling the world marketing the latest and greatest new offering.

Whereas I fully understand and commiserate with your frustration, sometimes is helps to put things in perspective.

Goldmoney currently has over 1.38 million users. From time to time a handful of users such as yourself experience problems. Assuming one person a day has a problem, that is 365 problems a year. 365/1380000 = 0.000264 or 0.03% annual problem rate. Sure it's your problem and it's frustrating, but a 0.03% failure rate is pretty d4mn good. Especially considering that it is usually never a permanent failure, just a delay in resolution. Add to the preceding the insanely low cost of using Goldmoney, many folks can justify waiting just a bit longer for resolution. There are many much more expensive alternatives that provide 24x7 support. Just sayin' B)