Hong Kong Vault?

I already transferred my gold, but what does everyone think about the safety of financial assets in Hong Kong given the current situation?

Answers

• RocketDogRocketDog Posts: 765 Silver ✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking the metals in the vault would still be safe for the long run. Maybe delays in physical movement of metals depending on how intense the riots and PRC reaction are. (Let's hope nothing bad happens.) But I would think the software could continue doing transactions on the stored gold no matter what is happening outside the vault. Ultimately, China could have Hong Kong locked down and reorganized frighteningly quickly, I think. I am pretty sure China wants to keep the business of Hong Kong running as usual. Don't blame you for transfering yours out though. Better safe than sorry.
  • BigMouseBigMouse Posts: 138 Bronze ✭✭✭
    Agree. The Gold is safe in HK vault. There is PLA troops stationed in HK. And new troops are gathered at the HK/ShenZhen border. China is hoping HK could solve the problem gradually by itself.
    If needed, China can get the situation under control pretty quick with minimum casualty. But this will give US ammunition for further intervention... There are some folks in US cannot wait for it to happen soon enough.
  • kboxkbox Posts: 28 Copper ✭✭
    I don't have anything vaulted in HK. What the HK demonstrators are doing is extremely courageous, they are literally putting their lives on the line for their rights. The Chinese government does not want HK to become a precedent for the rest of China so will do everything it can to crush this, lives will be lost, gold will be safe.
  • fragnetfragnet Posts: 1 Tin ✭
    I don't want any risk in my portfolio that's why I changed to singapure. A Metall to Metall transfer to another vault is easy and the fee is only 0.75%. So why not?
  • CampeadorCampeador Posts: 221 Bronze ✭✭✭
    I say, no place is safe. However, another place that is not HK or the USA is "safer". The Chinese can crack open any vault if they want it that bad. My take is that Singapore is Safer" because they want business.